Outbuildings Design and Planning

Our Outbuildings team are able to offer a range of services, which include design and planning consultations, drawings and planning application submissions. We can undertake projects across the UK.

Please contact us and we can discuss your project and how we can work with you.

kent 24
Lulham 23

Our Services

At the initial stages we can meet you either at our offices or on site to discuss your project and how we would approach it.  We can then provide initial budget costings before starting the design process.

We have a dedicated in-house design team who can help turn your ideas into a workable reality. Our planning services can include the coordination, writing and submission of the planning application, organising of additional surveys required and liaising with the relevant Local Planning Authority.  We are also able to work alongside your consultant/architect and simply provide the design of the building whilst they submit the planning application.

Planning approval is not always required and Permitted Development may enable you to erect a structure without formal submission.



Planning Permission


You will need planning approval if any of the following criteria apply:

1. The structure is to be erected in the grounds of a listed building, within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Conservation Area, National Park or equivalent.

2. The proposed structure will be in front of the main house and closer to a highway, footpath, access road etc.

3. The ridge of the building is higher than 4 meters (NB: many of our Classic models are under 4m)


Building Regulations



Many of our Classic Outbuildings do not require planning approval or building regulations approval. Approval is not normally required if the following criteria are met:

1. The building is detached and at least 1m from the adjacent boundary.

2. The internal floor area is less than 30 square metres.

If Building Regulations approval is required, Border Oak are able to assist with this and where required can undertake a full Building Regulations application including Structural Certification.  We would be pleased to discuss this aspect of your project and provide you with some informal advice.



Border Oak recommend approaching the relevant authority if you are unsure whether approval is required and our design team and technical department will be happy to assist wherever possible.

Please contact us to discuss your project.